Signed Adrian Jones
Bronze with a rich dark brown patination on an oak base
Height: 14 1/2" (37 cm)
Conceived and cast 1893.
Adrian Jones’s monumental sculptures continue to make a major contribution to the landscape of Central London. Most notably, Jones is celebrated for his statues including Quadriga on the Wellington Arch in Hyde Park Corner, the Calvary Memorial in Hyde Park, the Duke of Cambridge in Whitehall, and of the Royal Marines in the Mall.
Qualifying as a veterinarian at the Royal Veterinary College in 1866, Jones later entered the army as a Veterinary Officer. When sent to India, Jones spent more time training horses than on military duties. At the end of the Boer War, he returned to London and began to sculpt with the encouragement of the sculptor Charles Bell Birch. Without any formal training, Jones achieved incredible success, with his first portrait being accepted at the 1884 Royal Academy Exhibition.
The present rare bronze group comes from undoubtedly the most interesting moment in Jones’s career; his transition from society animalier sculptor to a creator of monumental works. Jones had just created Duncan’s Horses, a group of wild horses, inspired by lines from Shakespeare’s Macbeth which was exhibited at the Royal Academy in 1892. Shortly after, he created two more life-sized works, the Maternal Care in 1893 and Rape of the Sabines in 1894. The Standard’s review of Maternal Care was written in praising terms: “In this particular class of animal life, Adrian Jones stands alone. For nearly twenty years in cavalry regiment he has undoubted opportunities for studying every movement of a horse.” The present rare bronze cast is a reduction of the larger model.
The Calvary Memorial in Hyde Park
The Wellington Memorial at Hyde Park Corner with Quadriga